Are you looking forward to getting your organization moving again after the year end festivities?
Most charities work hard right up to the final day of the calendar year to maximize fundraising as donors give for an annual tax receipt.
For many, the first weeks of a new year are a relatively less urgent time when there may be greater potential for investing in strategic priorities beyond the daily whirlwind of tasks and deadlines. It can be a time to refocus and reinvest as well as to recover.
This may be the best opportunity all year to take a closer look at your organizational culture and see what is worthy of celebrating and what needs to change for you to achieve your ambitions for 2020. Of course you should be considering and working on culture all the time; but it rarely reaches the top of the priority list when things are busy. It’s very important but by the time it becomes urgent it may be extremely difficult to fix it without serious damage.
So here are 7 Simple Questions you can ask alone, or with your team, to check in on the health of your organizational culture:
1. Do we all understand the Reason for our work well enough to state it briefly in our own words?
2. How are we being intentional about managing the seasonal ebbs and flows of Energy and developing the habits that fill us?
3. What are 3 things we are doing currently that are not in strong Alignment with our priorities and how are we fixing or eliminating those things?
4. Where is there a communication gap that is muddying the Clarity we need to have our greatest impact and who is responsible for closing that gap?
5. What Trust damaging behaviours have we tolerated for too long for fear of losing a high performer or just because we are uncomfortable with conflict?
6. Which potential or imminent Warning Lights are indicating dangers to the health of our organization?
7. What specific things are we doing this month to Celebrate our steps toward success that we want everyone involved in our organization to understand and/or replicate?
Taking even just 15 minutes to answer these questions, and then acting on the answers, could be exactly what you need to set your organization on course for a healthier and more effective year ahead.
For more practical insight into how leaders can understand, assess, and improve organizational culture check out www.reactiondashboard.com or contact us for a free initial consultation.